Canada is one of the most sought-after countries for international students to pursue higher education as it is one of the most educated countries, and is budget-friendly as compared to the US or the UK. In addition to this, the study and work permit benefits the applicant by offering work permit to their accompanying spouse. Thus, foreign workers with relevant skill-set and work experience can easily attain Canadian work visa for the duration of their partner’s studies.
Qualifying Criteria for Gaining Study and Work Permit
- To qualify for this permit, both the partners must reside in Canada.
- The partner who is to pursue the study must have a valid study permit and an acceptance letter from the Designated Learning Institution.
- The working spouse is required to have a valid work permit in a skilled or semi-skilled occupation (NOC 0, A or B) for six months.
A foreign student can extend their stay in Canada after completing their degree for a period of 8 months up to 3 years.
Open Work Permit
The accompanying spouse of international student in Canada are eligible for Open Work Permit, it will enable them to work on or off-campus full-time while their partner study. Also, it allows the partner to select any job with any employer. The validity of open work permit is in sync with the validity of their partner’s study permit. Apart from this, in certain cases, the spouse may be required to have a medical exam.
Who Can Apply For Open Work Permit?
Spouse or common law partner of an international student who is studying full-time and have a valid study permit can apply for the open work permit.
When Can One Apply?
- The spouse can apply for the work permit any time before or after their arrival in Canada.
- If the common law partner does not require a temporary resident visa, then they can apply for a Canadian work permit at the border or airport where they enter Canada.
In some cases, spouse’s or partner’s work permit and study permit applications are processed at the same time by Canadian visa offices abroad. For the same, one is required to submit the additional fee for the work permit along with the study permit application.
Apart from this, the applicants must carefully review the work permit conditions as cited by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as certain work visas are subject to restrictions.
If you and your working partner are looking to move to Canada for better work and growth opportunities, then hire a professional immigration consultant at ImmigCanada who will help you prepare your application carefully so that it is subject to no hindrance or rejection.