Home » Work in Canada » Open Work Permit

Open Work Permit

What is An Open Work Permit in Canada?

An open work permit in Canada is a work permit that is not job-specific. Because it is not job-specific, you will not need:

  • An authorization from Employment and Social Development Canada (known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment, or LMIA), or
  • Proof that an employer has submitted the Offer of Employment form, and
  • Paid the employer compliance fee to Citizenship and Immigration Canada when you apply for your work permit.

In most cases, you will have to pay the open work permit holder fee at the same time you pay the work permit fee.

Who Can Apply for An Open Work Permit?

You may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you are in one of the following situations:

1.  You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has received a positive eligibility assessment under one of the following:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Humanitarian and compassionate grounds

You may also be eligible if you are a family member of someone whose application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the above.

2.  You are already in Canada and have applied for permanent residence through the Family Class as a spouse/common-law partner.

3.  You have the needed work experience and applied for permanent residence through the Live-in Caregiver Program.

4.  Your spouse is

  • a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B or
  • a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec.

5.  You have a temporary resident permit valid for at least six months.

6.  You are participating in

7.  You have filed a claim for refugee protection in Canada and

  • you are waiting for the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada to decide on your claim; and
  • you cannot pay for your basic needs without working.

8.  The RPD has rejected your refugee claim

  • you cannot be removed from Canada for reasons beyond your control and
  • you cannot pay for your basic needs without working.

9.  You are a family member of a foreign representative.

10. You are a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada.

11. You are a professional athlete allowed to enter Canada and you need to do other work to support yourself while playing for a Canadian team.

If you need an open work permit, let ImmigCanada handle your application.