Home » Study in Canada » Study Permit

Study Permit

International students from all over the world choose Canada as a top destination for their studies. However, to study in Canada, you must first get a study permit. The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Designated learning institutions include colleges, universities, and technical vocational schools that have been specifically recognized by the Canadian Government to accept foreign students.

To be eligible to apply for a Study Permit to Canada, an aspiring student must meet the following eligibility requirements;

  • One requires a letter of acceptance from a chosen learning institution
  • If the student wishes to study in Montreal or the Province of Quebec; he must obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec
  • Required to be interviewed by an official in their country
  • Get a medical examination
  • Police verification certificate
  • Must exhibit proof of funds to support education in Canada.
  • Must provide a document demonstrating you and any accompanying family members will be able to cover the first year’s tuition and living costs (housing, food, etc.) for the first year of study.

Additional documents include:

  • Other additional documents may require depending on the province you choose to study;
  • A valid passport;
  • A proof of adequate financial ability to support yourself financially during your stay in Canada, including your tuition fee and other expenses;
  • Be in good health as IRCC may ask for a medical exam;
  • Bank statement;
  • Documentation of education loan from a financial institution

Upon entering Canada as an international student with an approved study permit, you must meet the requirements below to maintain your study permit validity.

  • Enrolment at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Intend to complete their program
  • Compliance with conditions listed on their study permit
  • leave Canada when their permit expires

Related Links:
Study to Immigrate Program
Permanent Residency For Students
How to Get a Canada Study Permit
How to Extend your Canada Study Permit
Student Life In Canada
Student Direct Stream
Work in Canada as a Student
Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)
Study Permit Visa For Partner
Designated Learning Institutions (DLI)
How to Prepare for an IELTS Exam
Canada Education System
Levels of Education in Canada

Work Permit Programs for International Students

There are three sorts of study programs in Canada that offer a work permit;

  • Technical Programs that are intended to prepare you for market-oriented skills.
  • College Programs are available in various public and private organizations.
  • Cooperative Education Programs are exceptionally planned so you have a working experience in the area before working in the Canadian labor markets.

Work Permits for International Students

Part-time work Permit

A Part-time work permit you can get assuming you must enroll in one of the study programs There are two approaches to work: On-campus work (without a work permit) and Off-campus (with a work permit) This permit allows you to remain working in Canada after completing your education.

Post-graduation work Permit (PGWP)

A permit that you can only obtain if you have studied at a public college. A Post-Graduation Work Permit gives you opportunities to score points to apply for a permanent residency. 

If studying in Canada is something you would like to pursue, here are the step-by-step procedures you must follow:

Register in a Study Program

The first thing you must do is select a qualified school/program and obtain admission from them. We can help you prepare your application to the school and program of your choice.

Apply for a Student Visa  

Follow the process to apply for a student visa.  

Note: Application for Quebec CAQ

If you are planning to study in Quebec, we will then make a CAQ application on your behalf. A CAQ application is required only for Quebec.

Application for a Study Permit in Canada

After receiving an admission letter from the school and a CAQ (if applicable), we can then make your application for a Study Permit. This study permit must be presented at the port of entry once you land in Canada as an international student.

ImmigCanada offers a turnkey solution to assist you to find an appropriate school and program. We can then help you prepare and submit all government applications. Once you graduate from your studies, we can also help you apply for permanent residency. Get the latest updates on Canada Immigration from our blog! Contact us to know more about the process that you want to follow and we can help you decide.