How to Work in Canada Without An LMIA?

A Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is to ensure that hiring an international worker will have a positive or neutral impact on the Canadian labor force. Work permits that require an LMIA come under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). Canada permits some international workers to immigrate to Canada to work without an LMIA. These workers come under the International Mobility Program (IMP). The purpose of IMP is to encourage Canada’s economic, social and cultural interests. Most of the common LMIA-exempt streams come under the IMP, which is divided into the following categories:

• Significant benefit
• Reciprocal Employment
• Charitable and Religious Workers

Significant Benefit

The international worker proposed work should be considered beneficial to Canada, it must be important or notable. Canada visa officials offer some flexibility in defining who is issued a work permit under this category. Some important measures for the significant social or cultural benefit include:

• An educational record proving that the worker has a degree, diploma, certificate, or award from an institution
• Proof from the current or former organization about the foreign workers’ experience in the occupation
• Foreign national is a recipient of national or international awards or patents
• Proof of membership in organizations requiring excellence of its members
• Proof of recognition of significant contributions
• Proof of scientific or scholarly contributions to their field
• Publications authored by the foreign national in academic or industry publication
• Leading role in an organization with a distinguished reputation

See also  IRCC's Transformation of Start-up Visa and Self-Employed Persons Programs

Entrepreneurs or Self-employed

Entrepreneurs or self-employed people who wish to move to Canada to start a new business may be granted an LMIA exemption. Candidates falling under this program must be sole or majority owners of the business and must exhibit that the business will be of significant benefit to Canada. It is essential to note that may only qualify for this work permit if their work in Canada is temporary.

Intra-Company Transferees (ICT)

International businesses that have a parent corporation, branch, or subsidiary in Canada can bring significant personnel to Canada through Intra-Company Transferees (ICT). The candidate must be an executive or senior manager, a functional manager, or an employee who has specialized expertise in the company’s products, services, and procedures.

See also  IRCC's New Method for Calculating Processing Times for Applications


Under the Canada-United States- Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), people of the United States and Mexico can get a work permit without the need for an LMIA. There are four categories of temporary work covered under CUSMA:

• CUSMA Professionals: Eligible who are eligible to work in one of approximately 60 targeted professions.
• CUSMA Intra-Company transfers: Workers transferring to Canada to work for a branch of their US or Mexican company who meet the ICT requirements.
• CUSMA Traders: Canadian workers to carry out trade of goods or services between Canada and either the US or Mexico.
• CUSMA Investors: Investors who have made an investment in a new or existing Canadian business and are coming to Canada to develop and direct the business.


The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) permits specific business visitors, investors, ICTs, service providers, and independent professionals to visit Canada without an LMIA.

TV and Film Production Workers

Television and film production organizations can bring workers to Canada if they can showcase that the work that is to be accomplished by the international worker is important to production.

See also  Enhancing Educational Collaboration: New Brunswick Signs Agreement with Morocco

Reciprocal Employment

Reciprocal employment agreements permit international workers to work in Canada while Canadians have alike reciprocal work opportunities abroad. These agreements can be in the form of the following:

• International Agreements: An international worker should be of significant benefit to Canada.
• International Exchange Programs: Program designed for foreign youth to come work in Canada.

Charitable and Religious Work

Charitable Worker

Charity is defined as the respite of poverty, improvement of education, or certain other purposes that benefit the community. Registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as a charity indicates that a company is charitable, but an international worker may be able to work in Canada for a company that is not registered with the CRA.

Religious Worker

The International candidate must be associated with or share the religious beliefs of a specific religious community where they are willing to work. The primary responsibilities of the foreign worker will be a particular religious’ objective, like the promotion of a religion or faith.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.