In the US, the third preference for employment-based immigrant visas is EB3. The employment-based green card category lets foreign professionals live and work in the US permanently. There are three categories of applicants: skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers.

To satisfy the labor market demand for unskilled workers in the United States (US), the US government offers an opportunity for eligible applicants to work and immigrate to the USA under the EB-3 Immigrant Visa Program. You may qualify for the EB3 Visa if you meet the requirements under one of the 3 categories. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) defines each of the 3 categories as follows:

Skilled Workers who have at least 2 years of experience in their area of expertise.

Professional workers who have higher degrees and require a professional license to work

Unskilled or other Workers who can handle jobs that qualified workers are not available to handle

Applicants can include their spouse as well as their children below the age of 21 in their EB3 application. One primary applicant can obtain a green card for every member of his/her family. Due to its relatively easy eligibility criteria, people who don’t qualify for the EB1 green card and EB2 green card categories leverage the EB3 Visa to immigrate and secure employment in the US.

U.S. Department of Labor – Labor Certification

Third preference petitions must generally be accompanied by an approved, individual labor certification from the Department of Labor on Form ETA-9089. In some cases, the petition may be submitted to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) with an uncertified ETA-9089 for consideration as Schedule A, Group I.

Family of EB-3 Visa Holders

Your spouse may be admitted to the United States in E34 (spouse of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW4 (spouse of an “other worker”). During the process where you and your spouse are applying for permanent resident status (status as a green card holder), your spouse is eligible to file for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Your minor children (under the age of 21) may be admitted as E35 (child of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW5 (child of an “other worker”).