NAFTA Work Permit lets citizens of Canada, the United States, and Mexico gain quick entry into each other’s countries for temporary business or investment reasons.

These people do not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by Employment and Social Development Canada to hire an American or a Mexican business person

Under NAFTA Work Permit, business people must meet the general rules for temporary entry to Canada.

There are four groups of businesspeople under NAFTA:

  • Business visitors
  • Professionals
  • Intra-company transferees
  • Traders and investors

With the exception of the business visitors group, all other groups will require a work permit to work in Canada. ImmigCanada has the experience and knowledge to take care of your work permit application.

  • A business visitor is someone who comes to Canada to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labor market. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks but are able to stay for up to six months.
  • Business visitors do not need a work permit.

To work in Canada as a professional, you must:

The listing of the jobs that qualify are as follow:

  • Accountant
  • Architect
  • Computer Systems Analyst
  • Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster
  • Economist
  • Engineer
  • Forester
  • Graphic Designer
  • Hotel Manager
  • Industrial Designer
  • Interior Designer
  • Land Surveyor
  • Landscape Architect
  • Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec)
  • Librarian
  • Management Consultant
  • Mathematician (including Statistician)
  • Range Manager/ Range Conservationist
  • Research Assistant (working in a post-secondary educational institution)
  • Technician/Technologist
  • Social Worker
  • Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist)
  • Technical Publications Writer
  • Urban Planner (including Geographer)
  • Vocational Counsellor
Medical/Allied Professional
  • Dentist
  • Dietitian
  • Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)
  • Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)
  • Nutritionist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Pharmacist
  • Physician (teaching or research only)
  • Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
  • Psychologist
  • Recreational Therapist
  • Registered Nurse
  • Veterinarian
  • Agriculturist (including Agronomist)
  • Animal Breeder
  • Animal Scientist
  • Apiculturist
  • Astronomer
  • Biochemist
  • Biologist
  • Chemist
  • Dairy Scientist
  • Entomologist
  • Epidemiologist
  • Geneticist
  • Geologist
  • Geochemist
  • Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States)
  • Horticulturist
  • Meteorologist
  • Pharmacologist
  • Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada)
  • Plant Breeder
  • Poultry Scientist
  • Soil Scientist
  • Zoologist
  • College
  • Seminary
  • University
    • Have a job offer from a Canadian business in that field and
    • Have a work permit.

This is a person who is sent to work for the same company in a different country. If this is your case, you must:

  • Have worked
    • On an ongoing basis,
    • For at least one year in the last three years,
    • For the same or a related employer in the United States or Mexico,
  • Be transferred to Canada to work short term for the same or a related employer,
  • Work as a manager, as an executive, or in a job that uses specialized knowledge, and
  • Have a work permit.

To work in Canada as a trader or investor, you must:

  • Be involved in planning, as a supervisor or executive, or in a role that involves essential skills,
    • a large amount of trade in goods or services, mainly between Canada and your home country, or
    • a large investment in Canada by you or your company,
  • Meet any other rules of NAFTA and
  • Have a work permit.

ImmigCanada Immigration Consulting Firm
📭Viber/Wechat/WhatsApp: 1.514.554.0016
🤙Tel: 1.514.574.2480

Like us on

Follow us on 

Follow us on Instagram:

Add us on Linkedin: