Home » Study in Canada » Work in Canada As a Student

Work in Canada As a Student

An amazing perk of studying in Canada is that it offers great support to students to work while gaining an education. A student can work on campus as well as off-campus. In addition to this, international students do not require a work visa separately for the same.

Here is a quick guide for students to work in Canada:

Work on-Campus: Full-time students with a valid study permit, a Social Insurance Number(SIN), and who are studying at a public post-secondary institution can work on campus for the school, faculty member, or a student organization. These students can run a business that is located on campus or offers services within campus premises.

Work off-Campus: As a study permit holder with SIN, a student is allowed to work for 20 hours a week during the term and full-time during the holidays. The requirements for the same are:

  • Full-time student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) enrolled in either a secondary-level vocational training program (Quebec only) or a post-secondary program.
  • The study program duration is of 6 months, which leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • The study permit allows working off-campus.

Work as an Intern: To complete the curriculum requirement of work experience, one can work as an intern. But, for the same student is required to have a work permit as well as a study permit and a certified letter from a respective academic official of the institution.

Requisites to Work in Canada as a Student

A Social Insurance Number (SIN): To work in Canada, an international student is required to have 9 digits SIN. For SIN application, the student requires:

  • A copy of the study permit issued by IRCC that’s supported by a ‘confirmation to work off campus’ letter
  • A copy of passport; and proof of address.

Bank Account: On arriving in Canada, one must first open a bank account. There are five recommended banks for international students:

  • Scotiabank
  • Tangerine
  • CIBS
  • Bank of Montreal
  • Royal Bank of Canada

Resume: For job application, a relevant resume is required. Create a resume along with its cover letter that clearly cites education and skills, and work experience, if available.

A Co-op Work Permit if Internship is Mandatory: Apply for a co-op work permit along with the study permit application, if the study program requires a Co-op or internship placement. Qualifying for this permit depends on the selected second language for study purposes or if one is partaking in general interest or preparatory courses.

If you too are ready to embark on your journey of work and study in Canada, allow us, ImmigCanada to navigate you in the process for a promising future in Canada.