Home » Immigrate To Canada » Family Class Sponsorship Program » Spouse/Common-Law/Conjugal Partner and Child Sponsorship

Spouse/Common-Law/Conjugal Partner and Child Sponsorship

For citizens or permanent residents who want to bring their relatives to Canada, the country offers various sponsorship programs. Family sponsorship programs, one of the most well-liked immigration routes to Canada, make it simple for citizens and permanent residents to bring their spouses and close relatives to the country with speedy processing.

Eligibility to Sponsor a Family Member

To sponsor a family member, the candidate must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • At least 18 years old
  • Intent to live in Canada, or plan to return to Canada 
  • Be able to provide for the financial support and needs of family members for three years

Whom Can I Sponsor For Sponsorship?

Spouse, Common-law, or Conjugal Partner

Under the sponsorship program, whether your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner is residing abroad or in Canada on a valid temporary visa, you may be able to sponsor them for Canadian permanent residency. In-country residents may also be eligible for an open work permit, which would enable couples to lessen some of their financial obligations.

If you and your partner are not wed but have lived together for at least a year, you may be qualified to apply for spousal sponsorship as Canada recognizes common-law partnerships.

The process of sponsoring a spousal or partner might seem to be very simple. However, applicants should be aware of one thing even though there is no point-based award system and neither your career history nor your language proficiency is being evaluated, the government official does evaluate your relationship to ensure that it is genuine. It is important that you prepare and submit the best application to convince the department that your relationship is genuine. You should also note that applications involving a spouse who is living in countries of lower socioeconomic development often invite extra scrutiny from immigration officials.

Child or Other Dependant Sponsorship

You can choose to list your children as accompanying dependents on your application for permanent residency if you’re moving to Canada. Only if they are not married and do not have children of their own. Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their biological or adopted children under the age of 22 for permanent residence in Canada. If a child above the age of 22 has a physical or mental impairment that makes it impossible for them to support themselves, that child may be deemed dependent.

Let us help you reunite with your loved ones through our Family class sponsorship programs. Contact us for any information you need. You can also read our blogs to find out more about Canada Immigration.